The belief in the finality of Prophethood bears as much importance as other conviction of faith, because without verbal acceptance and inner conviction of this, no one cans the fold of Islam. Apparently this belief is concerned with the faith in Prophethood but in reality unless the Holy Prophet (PBUH) is not believed to be the last of the Prophets the faith and belief in the Apostles of God remains incomplete. So the acceptance of finality of Prophethood is a must for entering the folds of Islam. If we ponder over this it becomes clear that the faith in the Prophethood is completed only when we believe in the Prophethood of Mohammad (PBUH) as the culmination of the line of Apostles of God, and we also have conviction that the religion and the code of conduct preached by him shall remain a living guide and precept both in this world and in the Day of Resurrection.
Proofs of finality of Prophet of Hazrat Mohammad (PBUH) in Quran and Hadith:
- References from Quran: In the first instance, we present proofs from the original (supreme) source i.e. Holy Quran is a categorical imperative for all the Muslims. The Holy Quran says: ―Mohammad is not the father of any man among you, but he is the Messenger of Allah and the seal of the Prophets and Allah is aware of all things.‖ The meaning of the word ―Khatm‖ is to stamp a seal, to enclose, and to lead to the end, and on some occasion it also means to finish of some assignments. For example if Khatm ul Amal is used it only means that one has completed the job and the responsibility stands discharged. Similarly if Khatamul Ana is used it conveys the meaning that he mouth of the vessel is closed and sealed, implying that nothing‖ can go in or come out of it.
- References from Hadith
Now explain some traditions of Hazrat Mohammad (PBUH) which will through light on the subject. Holy Prophet said:
- ―The prophets led the Bani-Israil and when any prophet died another prophet succeeded him, but after me there will be no prophet.‖
- ―The difference between me and the prophets preceding me is as a man built a house and constructed it beautifully but left a gap in the comer of the wall for a brick, the spectators moved about the house but questioned about gap left about the size of brick. Then know it that ―I am that brick, I am KhatamunNabiyyeen.‖
iii. The Apostle of God had said, ―The continual of Prophethood and Apostle has ended. After me there is neither a Prophet nor an Apostle.‖
- The prophet of Allah has said. ―After me there is no other prophet and no other Ummah.‖
Necessity of Prophethood and finality of Prophethood: Logical proves
If we refer to the Holy Quran to find out the prime purpose for sending an Apostle we come across four prominent facts, under, which prophets were nominated by God:
- In the first instance, it was necessary to send a Prophet to community for which no Prophet was sent previously or the message of other prophets was not communicated to them.
- Secondly those people had forgotten the message of the previous prophets and had altered or amended the teaching and message of earlier prophets, and no hope was left for the obedience of the true message of the Apostles.
iii. Thirdly, that the teachings of the previous prophets did not suffice to give full guidance and rule of conduct in the matter of faith and religion to the people, and a scope existed for sending another Apostle.
- Fourthly, need for an extra prophet was felt to help and assist the existing prophet.
Characteristics and finality of the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH)
The Prophethood which started from Hazrat Adam (A.S) got completed on the Prophethood of Hazrat Mohammad (PBUH). The Prophets (A.S) sent before Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) were for an specific time and a specific nation or tribe. But the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) was sent as Prophet for all times to come till the Day of the Judgment, and for all nations and tribes. That is the reason that the Prophethood of Mohammad (PBUH) has attained a distinct and distinguished place among the Prophets (A.S).
The Prophethood of all the Prophets (A.S) before Mohammad (PBUH) was a specific nation and a specific time. Other Prophets were sent to different areas and different nations, but the Prophethood of Mohammad (PBUH) is for all times and for all nations till the Day of Judgment. In other words the Prophethood Mohammad (PBUH) is universal as mentioned in the Holy Quran: ―Say (Oh! Muhammad (PBUH) people! I am a Prophet sent for all of you. (Sura-e-Al-Araaf)
- Annulment of Previous Shariahs:
God almighty annulled all the Shariah of previous Prophets (A.S) through His beloved Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) as the same were for specific time and nations. Due to the universality of the Prophethood of Muhammad (PBUH) now only the Shariah of the Prophet Muhammad would prevail till the Day of Judgment. The Holy Quran says:
―And the one who select religion other than Islam, will never be accepted and he will be among the losers in afterlife‖ (3:85)
―This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favor upon, and have chosen for you7 Islam as your religion.‖ (5:3)
- Protection of The Book:
The books revealed on the earlier Prophets (A.S) are completely or partially extinct as much has been added or omitted by the people to suite their interests and personal motives. Now it is quite impossible to separate the original divine injunctions from the corrupted books. But the Quran revealed on Hazrat Mohammad (PBUH) is still preserved in original form. The reason is that Allah Himself has taken the responsibility of protecting his book: ―Certainly we have revealed this book (Quran) and We will protect it‖ (15:9)
- Protection of Sunnah:
Sunnah is the second source of Islamic Law. God Almighty has also made Arrangement for the protection of the Sunnah-e-Rasool Mohammad (PBUH). The people who collected sayings of the Prophet made great struggle and care in the collection of Ahdith. We today are taking guidance in all matters, religion as well as worldly, from the sayings of the Prophet (PBUH). Thus all the actions of the Prophet Mohammad are preserved word by word with the help of God. No other Prophet or reformer has this quality that his whole life was recorded.
- The Holy Place of Mohammad (Maqani-e-Mehmood):
Another important characteristic of the Prophethood of Hazrat Mohammad (PBUH) is that God will grant him the Holy place of Mehmood on the Day of Judgment as Allah says in the Quran: ―(Oh Prophet)! Say prayers of night (Tahajjud) and this are a thing of reward (Natal) for you, hopefully, your Lord will place you on the Holy place Mahmood.‖ (Sura-e- Bani Israel Verse no. 79)
Basis of our relation with Prophet Mohammad (PBUH):
The need to follow obediently the teaching and the model Hazrat Mohammad (PBUH) arises from the following:
- Faith: Kalma-e-Twahid is the embodiment of our faith that we affirm in it that there is no God but Allah and Muhammad (PBUH) is His Prophet.
- Obedience: ―And the one, who obeys the Messenger of Allah, obeys Allah.‖ It is also made compulsory for the believer to accept all that is given to them by the Prophet of God and refrains from what he forbids.
iii. Love for the Prophet (PBUH): The third basis of our relation with the Prophet of God is love with him. The Holy Prophet (PBUH) says: ―The faith of a person cannot be dependable unless, his love for me surpasses his love for his father, son and other near relative.‖